We had a guest for dinner last night. I was low with a cold and not up to the complete menu, so we had The Texan's excellent Beef Pot Pie and the Crème Fraisalia for dessert.
I didn't make it in time to get in a full 3 hours of chilling, so the Cream was more the texture of American pudding than an upright Teutonic Bavarian Cream. Last weekend, I had substituted raspberry freezer jam; this weekend I substituted strawberry freezer jam. (And then realized we had purchased some early California strawberries that afternoon, so used those for decoration.)
I thought the dessert a little soggy, not so much in texture as in flavor, which was a bit bland. It may have been the extra sugar in the jam (low-sugar jam, not terribly sweet) made the overall dessert too sweet. But I was in the minority -- the rest of the adults thought it quite tasty. (One child felt chocolate syrup necessary, but I believe that to be personal taste, not a reflection on the flavor of the dessert.)
Tonight I'll make the Choux and the Game (not Guinea) Hen
2 comments:
This looks absolutely gorgeous. I don't have any fresh berries, sob.
What a lovely dish.
Post a Comment